Sometimes life isn’t that sunny…
From birth, children from the bottom 20% in Singapore receive less access to financial and social resources than their peers from other socio-economic status. The gap widens with each year and further places these children at a disadvantage in life and school.
For some, their situation is made worse by absent parent figures or abusive caregivers. This is worrying as family background is a very significant variable affecting educational performance and future earnings of individuals. Without such a system of support, their needs are not adequately taken care of and may potentially negatively affect their future.
CHILDREN’S ENRICHMENT PROGRAMME
Recognising that every child has different strengths, this program aims to provide holistic child development across 6 areas. We address basic needs so children can concentrate on things that matters and prepare them to become useful members of society.
- Tuition conducted by MOE-registered former school teachers
- Additional 1-on-1 with volunteers for weaker students
- Volunteers read to children and organise activities related to the stories/ themes
- The weekly sessions are to increase their language ability and interest in reading
NON-ACADEMIC ELECTIVES (MUSIC, SPORTS, ART & IT)
- Regular lessons in music, sports, speech & drama, art, IT, etc conducted by professionals and volunteers
- In recognition that not all children are academically-inclined, our “Reach for the Stars” programme identifies those who are talented in these areas to sponsor them for professionals training, and hence support their ambitions to pursue careers in these areas
- Volunteers conduct training sessions on interview skills, personal grooming, cooking, public speaking, decision making, etc
- These life skills are an essential part of the holistic development for children, and can help them succeed later on
CAREER GPS, MENTORSHIP & COUNSELLING
- Corporates host secondary school students to expose them to possible careers in different industries
- Where possible, they follow up with opportunities for internship, job shadowing, and/or mentorship
- We also provide on-site counselling services for children and their families
- Corporates or volunteers organise and sponsor outings or events
- To educate and expose the children to experiences and knowledge outside the classroom
Click here to read the full Impact Report
CHILDREN’S ENRICHMENT PROGRAMME IMPACT
We recently concluded an impact analysis of our Children’s Enrichment Programme, which found that the social Impact of Return (sROI) was 3 times (300%) of the monetary value spent on the children. They showed improvement in their academic results, increased self-confidence, and had greater ambitions for their future. Investment in a child’s education and development takes time, and the seeds we sow will grow stronger over the years.